Monday, February 22, 2016

Recovery is redefining beauty


At age 15, I had a very strict definition of beauty.

Skinny = beautiful.
Beautiful = skinny.
End of story.

Skinny and beautiful – those two things were inseparable in my mind.  I also wholeheartedly believed that:
·         Long legs are beautiful
·         Tan skin is beautiful
·         Straight teeth are beautiful
·         Straight hair is beautiful
·         Thigh gaps are beautiful
·         Bones are beautiful (ribs, collar bones, hip bones…if you can see it, it’s beautiful)

10 years later, I’m finally starting to get a new perspective on beauty.  Now I know that:
·         Messy is beautiful
·         Brave is beautiful
·         Imperfections are beautiful
·         I am beautiful

The King is enthralled with your beauty, honor Him for He is your King.
Psalm 45:11

If you are struggling with an eating disorder, I encourage you to check out some of these verses.  Maybe they will help you redefine beauty.

Psalm 45:11
Proverbs 31:30
1 Peter 3:3-4
Psalm 139
Luke 12:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment