Saturday, February 27, 2016

Recovery is Bold. Brave. Beautiful.


I am so sad to see NEDA week end.  It has been a privilege and blessing to share a small piece of my story with you.

As I was reflecting on NEDA week last night, I realized something: I’m not ready for it to be over!  All of a sudden, I am realizing that there is so much more I want to say.

I want to say that recovery is a work in progress.
I want someone to know that if you still think about your weight and your body and your calorie consumption, it’s okay!  I do.  Every day.  But I’m getting better at ignoring it.  And I truly believe that someday, I’ll climb into bed at night and as I’m slipping off to sleep, I’ll realize that I didn’t think about any of that…at all…the entire day.  I’m FAR from that, but that’s okay, because recovery is a work in progress.

I want to say that recovery is for everyone.
I want someone to know that you don’t have to be underweight to have an eating disorder and you definitely don’t have to be underweight to get help.  Eating disorders come in all shapes and sizes, but one thing is true no matter what your size: if you are struggling, recovery is for you.

I want to say that recovery is standing up for yourself.
I want someone to know that eating disorders, body-image issues, and low self-esteem won’t go away on their own.  There is a war going on, and in order to fight it, you have to stand up.  Stand up to your insecurities.  Stand up to the lies.  Stand up for yourself.

And finally, I want to say that recovery is bold.  Recovery is brave.  Recovery is beautiful.
As we close out the week, I want to leave you with a verse that got me through many long days on the journey to freedom and recovery.

But He said to me: “My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
2 Corinthians 12:9

When Paul wrote these words, he was struggling with a thorn in his flesh, and though he begged God to remove it, God – in all wisdom and power – chose not to.  Instead, He gave Paul the strength to bear the thorn.  God took Paul’s weakness and used it for His glory.

Through my struggle with anorexia, I learned that when I am at my lowest point and my weakest moment, that’s when God’s presence starts to break through my blindness.  That is when I see Him making me strong.  Strong enough to say no to Ana. Strong enough to admit that I need help.  Strong enough to pursue recovery.


If you are struggling with an eating disorder, stop trying to do it on your own.  Embrace your weakness and let God use it to place HIS power and strength on you.  Let God’s power be the thing that makes you strong.  Makes you bold.  Makes you brave.  Makes you beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. This whole week of blogs is amazing! Thank you for your courage to share your real story in order to reach out to those who need to see a light ahead. All of us who've been in dark places can relate. And we applaud you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate your encouragement so much!

      Delete