Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The Idolatry of Anorexia

            Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen smiled up at me from the glossy pages of Cosmo Girl magazine.  I pulled the magazine closer and studied the two of them.  MK’s lilac dress showed off her perfectly thin arms and Ashley’s legs were simply to die for.  Looking at them, I wondered if anyone in the world was as beautiful as them.  I doubted it.
            Taking my scissors, I cut out the photo and placed it on top of a growing stack of magazine clippings.
            The next page in the magazine was a swimsuit ad.  The blond model had glowing tan skin and a gorgeous body.  My eyes moved from her flat stomach to her bright smile.  She looked happy and beautiful.  If I were skinny, I would be happy too.
            When I finished cutting out all the pictures of beautiful models and celebrities I could find, I moved to my bed and pulled out my laptop.  Opening google images, I typed the word “thinspo” and watched as hundreds of images popped up on the screen – girls with gracefully thin arms, rock hard abs, and the ever-elusive thigh gap that I so longed to see in the mirror.  In another window, I typed “pro-ana” into the search engine and flipped through list after list of tips for how to ignore food cravings, how to lie to get out of eating, and how to make it through a 7-day fast without giving up.  I clung to every picture and every word as if my life depended on it.
            When I’m thin, I told myself, I’ll be happy.  I’ll be in control.  I’ll be perfect.

            Idolatry is a strange concept in the 21st century.  The word usually conjures up images of golden calves and people bowing down to statues.  But the bottom line is that an idol is anything that takes the place of God in your heart.  For me, “Ana” – the representation of all things thin and (in my mind) beautiful – was that idol.

            The book of Hosea tells the tragic story of God’s people.  It was God who had always provided for the Israelites.  It was He who gave them grain, wine, oil, silver, and gold.  But the Israelites abandoned Him and chose to seek their needs in idols and false gods.  God was deeply pained to see His children turn away from Him, but He didn’t force them to return to Him.  He waited patiently for them to see their need for Him.

            I will go away and return to My place until they acknowledge their guilt and seek My face; in their affliction they will earnestly seek Me. (Hosea 5:15)

            Throughout Israel’s disobedience and idolatry, God showed His people tender love as He gently pursued them.

            Therefore, behold, I will allure her…and speak kindly to her…I will remove the names of the Baals [idols] from her mouth, so that they will be mentioned by their names no more…I will betroth you to Me forever; yes, I will betroth you to Me in righteousness and in justice.  In lovingkindness and in compassion, and I will betroth you to Me in faithfulness.  Then you will know the Lord. (Hosea 2:14-20)

            It is startling to look back at my eating disorder and realize just how much my story resembles the story laid out in Hosea.  It was always God who had provided for me.  But I stubbornly insisted on pursuing anorexia instead of Him.  I needed love.  I needed acceptance.  I needed sufficiency.  And in my sinful mind, I thought it was Ana who could give me those things.  It took pain and affliction – more pain and affliction than should be possible for a teenage girl – for me to come to a place where I could earnestly seek God.


The Bible promises that “you will find [God] if you search for Him with all your heart and all your soul” (Deut 4:29).  Sometimes you take the long rout getting there, but know that He is patiently waiting for you, ready to bring you into His righteousness, His lovingkindness, His compassion, and His faithfulness.


1 comment: