Thursday, November 26, 2015

A Lesson in Thankfulness

I'm not going to lie: I love my life.  I love my job.  I love my ministry. But...

NOPE, no buts!  That really is the bottom line.

Sometimes, when I think about that fact, I feel overwhelmed.  Overwhelmed with joy.  Overwhelmed with humility.  Overwhelmed with gratefulness.

I have so much to be grateful for.  Friends, family, where I live, where I work...I could go on and on.  But this blog post isn't actually about what I'm thankful for.

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays.  Ever since I was little, there has always been something special to me about setting aside time to focus on our blessings and how God has made our lives rich (and I don't mean rich with money!)

So even though Thanksgiving isn't a Haitian holiday, I decided to take some time to discuss with my class what it means to be thankful and why it is important to have hearts that overflow with gratitude.

After discussing this, I started asking the question: If you could tell God "thank you" for one thing in particular right now, what would it be?  It started out as a question for my class, but quickly grew to incorporate other students as well.

Here are some of the things my kids are thankful for:







2 comments:

  1. Does the first picture show the "hallway" and the doors to each classroom? I would love to be taken on a walking tour, like pics of what you see every few feet from the time you leave yor home o when you get into yor classroom. And yes, the kids ate absolutely adorable, and I so respect how you talk about thankfulness. your, not yor. are, not ate. Won't let me make corrections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - that's the school hallway with classrooms on each side. It also doubles as a multi-purpose room. On fridays, the kids bring out all the benches and chairs and we have chapel in the hallway. It's also where we have our monthly birthday parties. =)
      A picture tour sounds like a great idea - I might just have to do that one of these days!

      Delete