Friday, June 12, 2015

Our Last Moments Together


For nine months, I spent five hours a day five days a week with these rugrats.
As a teacher, you always get to know your students – their strengths, their weaknesses, their quirks.  But when you only have six students in a 10’ by 12’ room, you REALLY get to know them.  We’ve had our share of struggles.  I admit that there were a few months when I didn’t think we were going to make it.  But now that our time together has come to an end, I miss them…deeply.

As school ended today, I asked them all to gather around the table – our table – and sit quietly for a minute.  And for once, they did.  Silence fell over the classroom – a silence that in nine months, we have never achieved.  We all sensed the heaviness of the moment and we all leaned close to each other.

This is how I said goodbye:

“Today is the last day of school.  It is the last time we will sit together around this table as a class.  Once you leave this room, I’m not your teacher anymore.  I will definitely see most of you over the summer, and many of you will remain together next school year, but things will be different.  So now, as you leave, I hope you know that I love you.  I love you very much and I miss you already.”

















2 comments:

  1. I understand those feelings so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you, Erin. May all that you have planted into these precious little ones flourish and bring honor and glory to our Lord.

    ReplyDelete