Sunday, April 26, 2015

The epic adventure called 'life'

            “Watch your step,” I called as I hopped over the large pothole.  Glancing over my shoulder, I did a quick headcount.  1, 2, 3, 4, 5.  I turned my attention back to the road just in time to notice (and avoid) the large wheelbarrow carrying a huge piece of raw meat…the back leg of a cow, to be exact.  Unfortunately, not all of my missionary friends were lucky enough to notice the wheelbarrow in time to dodge it…

            Pushing through the crowded street, the five of us made our way through the food market, past countless vendors selling everything from pencils to apples to raw meat, and finally into the clothing market.

            After two hours of shopping, bartering, filming, and peeing in a cup (not me), we sat down to ice-cold cokes at one of our favorite (…one of our only…) restaurants.

            From there, the plan was simple.  Quick stop at the tourist market, pick up a few more groceries, and head home.  Well, that was the plan before the car broke down three times, before our one stop at the tourist market became two, and before we realized that the phone store was only 2 blocks away…you get the idea.

            By the time we made it home, we had been gone for 7 hours.  My shoulders were the same color as the tomatoes in the market.  We were hot and sweaty and exhausted.  But we were happy.

            “I think that was one of my best days here!” one of my friends said enthusiastically.  I had to agree – it was pretty amazing.

The moral of the story?
Every day is an adventure.  Every day is a blessing.  Every day is a gift.
Live it.  Love it.  Cherish it.  Enjoy it.
And steer clear of raw meat.


No comments:

Post a Comment