Friday, April 18, 2014

I have a confession to make: Sometimes I hate Haiti

There.  I said it.  Now maybe I should explain.

I hate Haiti when I run out of cell phone minutes and can't find anyone to sell me more.

I hate Haiti when I can't sleep because it's so bright outside my window and I have to scrounge up all the drapes, sheets, towels, and shower curtains I can find to plaster my windows...and that's still not enough. All I want is to go to Target and get a legitimate set of drapes!

I hate Haiti when I want to buy a skirt but I can't get the price bartered down to a reasonable amount.

I hate Haiti when all I want is to have a normal conversation but I can't because I don't speak the language.

I hate Haiti when nobody tells me important times, dates, or changes and I'm completely out of the loop.

I hate Haiti when I have to crawl around a slanted rooftop to retrieve my freshly cleaned clothes (that are now dirty) because they were blown off the line by the wind.

I hate Haiti when everywhere I go I get stared at, pointed at, and yelled at.  News flash: my name is not Blan ("White").  My name is not Baby, Sexy, or Hey You, and it's definitely not that horrible kissing sound you make.

So there you have it.  A VERY abridged list of a few times when I hate Haiti (trust me, I could go on and on).  And after some of the things that have happened this week, I kind of want to be stubborn and end this blog post here, after having talked only about reasons I hate Haiti.

...But if I'm going to list reasons I hate Haiti, I suppose I should list a few reasons I love Haiti too.  Well, I gave you 7 reasons I hate Haiti...I think I'll give you a few more reasons I love Haiti.  Here are 12:


Christella, Bensly, Alix, Richardly, Leonard, Messy, Carly, Mackendly, Jessica, Midlan, Widline, Stevenson

And trust me, I could go on and on and on.

1 comment:

  1. I admire your fortitude, & understand your frustrations. After we're there for a week, we are so looking forward to the amenities at home. Those faces are great though- I recognize some of those cuties.

    ReplyDelete