Friday, December 13, 2013

Haiti is expensive, and it's got nothing to do with money

What I mean is that Haiti costs a lot.  Haiti costs…

…My comfort
I can’t say I particularly enjoy bucket showers, unreliable power (if any), legs covered in bug bites, and a constant sunburn.

…My sanity
Trying to teach, barter, and generally communicate in Haitian Creole on a daily basis would drive anyone crazy at times.
#cabbage

…My looks
I know that true beauty is a gentle and quiet spirit.  But as a woman, I think I’m allowed to say that no-makeup and frizzy hair don’t exactly say physically attractive.

…My love life
Not that I have one.  But sometimes I can’t help but think…What guy can possibly handle living in Haiti for the rest of his life??  ((It’s not true of course.  If God calls me to live in Haiti, He will call my future husband to live there, too.  But I still think about it.))

But the thing about following God’s call is that it’s worth it.  When I go to Haiti, and I dance with Janide, and I listen to Rit read, and I get kisses from Laisa, and I play hopscotch with Lovna, I know it’s worth it.

And even though I have to give up my comfort, my sanity, my looks, and my love life, I don’t mind.  Because there’s no better place to be than in the center of God’s will.

No comments:

Post a Comment