Friday, August 23, 2013

When I close my eyes, I can smell the dust from the street in St Louis du Nord. I can hear high-pitched voices calling my name in heavy Haitian accents "Ayerleen! Ayerleen!" I can see big brown eyes looking up at me from small ebony faces. I can taste fresh mangoes that Mirlouse bought just for me. I can feel the stroke of tiny hands rubbing my arms, fascinated by my white skin.

As I count down the days until I set foot in Haiti again (37), I am filled with longing and desire.  One of my friends described this way: "You're heart's already in Haiti.  You just need to be reunited with it.  And you won't be whole until you are."

On September 28, I will head to Haiti for 2 weeks.
In case you're wondering, here's the plan:
~Fly into Port au Prince
~Take a bus to St Louis du Nord
~Visit some of the most wonderful people I have ever met.  Spend time with the kids that changed my life.  And enjoy my 23rd birthday!! (I couldn't ask for a better birthday present!)
~Travel to Cap-Haitien to meet my new students, see the Kids Alive School and Children's Village, and tour my future home.
~Back to the US on October 11.

I wish it could be longer than 2 weeks, but let's be honest, I'll take what I can get!

Here's what you can be praying for:
~I'm hosting 2 events to raise  support and to share my heart for Haiti with my friends and family.  Pray that planning and execution of these events would go smoothly.
~Safe travels.
~That it would be a trip of encouragement for me to remind me that my dream is coming true, even though it doesn't always feel like it will ever happen.

Thank you for your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment